有声英语故事连载:《名人传记》之乔布斯 第70期

故事连载

 

People who’ve done that have another angle on, er,

真正接触过电子设备的人

whether technology is bad or good.

对科技的利弊有更客观的判断

They think that technology that pushes them around is bad

他们认为 如果科技控制了人性 那它就是不好的

and technology that they can push in their own direction they think is good.

但如果科技能以人为本 它就是好的

While he was still at school,

乔布斯还在念书的时候

Jobs worked at one of the big computer companies near his home in Silicon Valley.

曾在硅谷的一家大型计算机企业工作

And he made a friend who would shape his destiny.

就在这时 他遇见了一位改变了他命运的朋友

We talked about electronics. I said, “I design computers.”

谈到电子学时 我对他说 我会设计电脑

“I can, you know, do any of them.” He had worked at Hewlett Packard

什么电脑我都能做出来 而他自己那时正在惠普公司工作

and built himself what’s called a frequency counter.

还自己做了台频率计数器

So we hit it off.

就这样 我们一拍即合

 

Despite his hippy outlook, Jobs had a ruthless streak.

尽管是个嬉皮士 乔布斯也有他残酷的一面

He was asked by the fledgling computer company Atari

他曾受一家新兴的电脑公司雅达利的邀请

to design a new Breakout game.

去设计一款打砖块电脑游戏

Jobs asked Wozniak to do it in just four days,

乔布斯只给了Wozniak四天的时间

telling his friend they would share the fee.

并告诉他 他们将平分报酬

He presented it like we were splitting the money 50/50,

他当时的意思是五五分成

but actually, it was, you know, probably a different story.

但事实却完全不是这样

Wozniak worked round the clock to deliver the goods

Wozniak夜以继日 终于完成了任务

but later discovered Jobs had paid him considerably less

但乔布斯最后付给他的钱

than half the sum he had received from Atari.

却远远少于他之前所承诺的二分之一

You didn’t think, “I can’t trust this guy”?

你就没想过 "我不能相信这家伙"吗?

or “He’s a bit too sharp for me”?

或者说 "他对我来说太精明了"?

Steve could have just said,

史蒂夫完全可以直截了当地告诉我

I need money to buy into this commune up in Oregon.

他需要这笔钱去支付俄勒冈公社的费用

 

Have you never harboured any bitterness that he might have?

你记恨他吗?

I don’t harbour bitterness.

我不记恨谁

Even if somebody just did that right to my face, I would not harbour bitterness.

就算有人当面这么对我 我也不会心怀怨恨

But I would acknowledge the truth. Um, I did cry.

但我承认 为这事我的确哭过

I cried, you know, quite a bit, actually, when I read it in a book.

其实在书里读到这里的时候 我哭得挺伤心

The seed of Apple were sow when Wozniak introduced Jobs

Wozniak把他带到一个地下DIY科技爱好者组织时

to a subterranean world of DIY technology enthusiasts.

创建苹果公司的想法在乔布斯心中萌芽了

 

SPIIKER二维码