有声英语故事连载:《名人传记》之乔布斯 第82期

故事连载

 

11 years later, Jobs was still bitter.

11年以后 这件事依然让史蒂夫非常怨愤

What can I say? I hired the wrong guy.

我还能说什么呢我看走了眼

-That was Sculley? -Yeah,

-你是指Sculley -是的

and, er, he destroyed everything I'd spent ten years working for.

他毁了我十年来所有的心血

Erm, starting with me, but that wasn't the saddest part.

辞退我也就算了 这还不是最主要的问题

I’d have gladly left Apple if Apple had turned out like I wanted it to.

如果苹果最终能变成我期望的那样 那我是愿意离开公司的

Sacking Jobs seemed natural to the man schooled in selling sugar water.

对于卖惯了糖水的人来说 解雇乔布斯是件无可厚非的事

In hindsight, that was a terrible decision. I was part of it.

事后看来 那是个糟糕的决定 而我也促成了这个决定

Coming from my vantage point, out of corporate America,

我来自一个典型的大企业 在我看来

people were asked to step down all the time when there were disagreements

当公司里出现分歧时 有人被要求离职是再正常不过的事情了

so I didn’t appreciate what it meant to be a founder of a business,

所以 我没能去理解 他作为公司的创始人和规划者

the visionary of the business.

会有什么样的感受

I was focused on how do we sell Apple computers,

我关注的重点 是我们该怎么去销售苹果的电脑

 

he was focused on how do we change the world?

而他在乎的 是怎么去改变世界

Jobs severed all ties with Apple, except one.

乔布斯断绝了与苹果的所有联系

He kept a single share in the company he had founded,

但他还是保留了一份股权

selling off the rest for more than $100 million.

并以超过一亿美元的价格 卖掉了其余所有的股权

He hated the company. He couldn’t see that it would succeed without him.

他对苹果恨之入骨 他不觉得这个公司没了他还能取得成功

He didn’t want it to succeed without him.

他也不想让公司在没有他的情况下成功

Over the next 11 years, Jobs didn't relent.

在以后的11年中 乔布斯并没有失去斗志

Once again centre stage, he set up a new company called Next, building high spec computers.

他成立了一家名叫Next的公司 生产高规格计算机

 

With cases made of magnesium and a price to match, they didn’t sell well.

Next计算机制作精良 有镁制外壳 因而也价格不菲 未能打入市场

Though one important computer scientist was impressed.

尽管如此 还是有一位重要的计算机科学家对它表示了欣赏

Steve Jobs had arranged that,

史蒂夫·乔布斯设计了一个小功能

whenever you get a Next machine,

你买了一台Next电脑后

there would be a message from him.

就会收到来自他的一条信息

One of the things I remember he said was that it’s not just about personal computing, which was the rage,

令我记忆犹新是 他说 当时风行一时的个人电脑并不是科技的走向

he said this should be about interpersonal computing.

电脑应该成为人与人之间交流的工具

And I thought, yeah, that’s... Yeah, he’s got it.

我想 是啊 的确是这样 他真是一语中的

 

SPIIKER二维码