有声英语故事连载:《名人传记》之乔布斯 第27期
故事连载
So, how did you get involved, uh, with personal computers?
你是怎么与个人计算机结缘的?
So I became very err.... captivated by computer.
我完全给计算机迷住了
And a computer to me was still a little mysterious
当然计算机对我而言仍然有些神秘
cause it's at the other end of wire,I had never really seen the actual computer itself.
因为真正的计算机藏在电缆的另一端,而我从未见过
I think I got towards computers after that, saw the inside,
打那以后我总想着计算机
and then I was part of this school byHewlett-Packard.
后来我在惠普附近的学校读书
When I was 12, I called up Bill Hewlett who lived in Hewlett-Packard at the time.
12岁时我打电话给Bill Hewlett,他当时住在惠普
And again it dazed me...
又是一次奇妙的经历
But there was no such thing as unlistedtelephone number then,
当时所有的电话号码都印在号码簿里
so I can just look into the book and look his name up.
只要翻电话号码簿,就能查到他的电话
And he answered the phone, and I saidHi, My name is Steve Jobs.
他接了电话,我说我叫Steve Jobs
You don't know me, but I'm 12 years old, and I'm building a frequency counter, and I'd like some spare parts.
你不认识我,我12岁,打算做频率计数器,需要些零件
And so he talked to me for about 20 minutes,
我们聊了大概20分钟
I will never forget as long as I live, he gave me the parts, but he also gave me a job working in Hewlett-Packard that summer.
我永远记得他不但给了零件,还邀请我夏天去惠普打工
And I was 12 years old, and that really made a remarkable influence on me.
我才12岁,这件事对我产生了不可思议的影响
Hewlett-Packardwas really the only company I'd ever seen in my life at that age.
惠普是我见过的第一家公司
And it forms my view of what a company was and how well they treated their employees.
它让我懂得了什么是公司,如何善待员工
You know, at that time, I mean they didn't know about cholesterol back then.
那时还没有胆固醇偏高一说
And then at that time they used to bring a big car full of donuts and coffee out at 10 o'clock every morning,
每天上午十点公司拖来满满一卡车的甜面圈和咖啡
and everyone take a coffee and have a donut break, just little things like that.
大家停下工作喝杯咖啡,品尝甜面圈
It was clear that the company recognized its true values was its employees.
很明显惠普明白公司真正的价值在于员工